Sunday, October 26, 2008

A House Full of Puppies

As I've mentioned before, there are alot of wild and roaming dogs that live in and around Lion's Park. A few weeks ago yet another one of those dogs was pregnant and had a litter of puppies. The mom had been coming around my house whenever I would take Suka & Meli out for several days and a couple of times I saw a little white puff following at her heel. Then, one day as I was taking the girls out to go potty one last time before I headed off to work, I saw mom with one of her pups. As I approached them the puppy ran right up to me--he was super friendly. In the picture to the left, he was the one with the brown patch over his eye. I picked him up and I could hear his brother yelping from behind the fence. You see, there is a fence that runs along the outer edge of our street and there are several holes in that fence that the wild/roaming dogs go in and out of. Alot of times the pregnant mom dogs go back behind the fence and dig out dens to have their puppies in. I found the other pup and was able to guide him along the fence to the hole. Once out, I was able to scoop him up too. Then it was back to my house to feed them and keep them safe until I could contact the humane society and see if we could get these guys fixed up and adopted out because the last thing we need in Lion's Park are more wild dogs. They had some skin issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed and I gave them both baths (they were covered in fleas). For a couple of days I had 4...yes, 4...puppies in my house.

I couldn't believe how big my girls looked compared to the little ones.
Here's Suka playing with one of the puppies...

I called him Piglett:

I called him Patch:

As sweet as they were, there was no way I could keep them. The two that I have are plenty! So Cheryl came to get them and took them home to get all fixed up and ready to be adopted out. If you live in American Samoa and are looking for a good pet, these two pups are super friendly and are in need of a good home.

No comments: