Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Few Of My Favorite Things...

Moving to a new place requires a trip or two to various stores to set up your new house. Many different items have been purchased to make this my new home away from home. Among those purchases are a few that stand out...

Bug spray. Many forms have been purchased...Raid, Ortho-Killer, Cockroach/Ant/Spider Killer, ant traps, roach traps, giant roach traps, rat poison, and my favorite--Bug Stop. It comes in the gallon-size jug with a spray hose that you attach and can take around and spray all the base boards both inside and outside your house. It's awesome. About a week into my stay here, I came home and found a spider the size of a baseball perched on the side of my couch. That's right, I said a baseball. No joke. Ahhhh, the joys of tropical living.

Fans & Air Conditioning Unit. I purchased 2 tall standing fans that I keep in my living room and an air conditioning unit that I had installed in my bedroom. Best $$ I've spent yet.

Otter Pops. Yep, Otter Pops. Found them at Cost-U-Less (our version of CostCo) and they just make everything better.

Golf Umbrella. Actually, Lisa bought this one for me before I came, but it is one of the best investments on the island given the crazy amount of rain that we get. And at $3, you can't beat a deal like that.

Zip Lock Bags. And tons of them. They have been a tremendous help in my quest to not give the bugs any real reason to stick around. Everything gets zip-locked around here. It's amazing what some ants will do to your motivation to clean up after your self and every little crumb that gets dropped.

Machette. That's right, I've got an 18 inch machette that I bought at Ace Hardware. It serves 2 purposes: home protection and hiking. You need a machette to go on many of the hikes around here because everything grows so quickly and lots of the "paths" to the beaches are through dense jungle that you've got to cut through to get through.

These are just a few of my favorite things...

1 comment:

kellseyp said...

KELLY!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea! I am so thrilled for you for taking on this adventure! I am so proud of you for extending past your comfort zone of CO, the US, places without spiders the size of baseballs. You go girl! LOVE YOU!! KP