Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What a Weekend...Part 2

Sunday, my life here on the island changed.



I woke up, walked out my front door and was greeted by Everett, the 8 year old who lives across the street. Everett begins to tell me that he has a present for me. Apparently, one of the wild dogs here in Lion's Park was pregnant and Clif & Julia (Everett's parents) had been feeding her when she came around in hopes of keeping her healthy and strong for the puppies. Well, that morning mom showed up with one of her puppies and abandoned it on Clif & Julia's doorstep. Mom started to leave and when the puppy tried to follow it, mom just took off. Ruth, Julia's sister who is here for the summer, tried to get the mom to take the puppy back, but she wasn't having any of it. Puppy was homeless.

I had mentioned to Clif & Julia in previous conversations that I was thinking about getting a puppy here. I had been wanting a dog for a while back home, but I lived in an apartment, worked crazy hours, and just didn't think it would be fair to the dog to bring it into that kind of situation. But here, my work hours are flexible, I live in a house with tons of space to run, and since many of the palagis have puppies of their own, everyone seems ok with bringing them to many of our gatherings. So when Clif came over with this rolly-polly hunk of fur, I fell in love. She was maybe 4 weeks old and just the sweetest little lover you'd ever seen. She just wanted to nuzzle right up to my neck and after I held her, that was it. I never wanted to let her go.

Her name is Suka. It means sugar in Samoan. How could you not love that face?


Check out the Harty's Blog for more on Suka.


No comments: